Learn how to reset Pixelmator Classic and send us the preferences files for investigation.
1. Locate the Pixelmator preferences folder
Quit Pixelmator (Pixelmator > Quit Pixelmator). After that, open the Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Containers
2. Move the Pixelmator preferences folder to the desktop
In the Containers folder, find the folder called 'Pixelmator'. Drag this folder onto the Desktop.
Deleting the Pixelmator folder resets your custom brushes, gradients, and shape presets to default. To save your custom content:
- Open the com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator folder on your desktop
- Inside this folder, open Data > Library > Application Support
- Copy the Pixelmator folder to any other location to save it. You will be able to import it back into Pixelmator later
3. Send us the Pixelmator preference files for investigation
If you'd like to send the Pixelmator Support team your preference files to help fix an issue, follow the instructions in this step. Otherwise, you can move on to step 4.
You'll need to compress the com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator folder on your desktop to make it easier to email. To do that, Control-click it and choose Compress.
If the file is too large to be attached to your email, follow these steps:
- Open upload.pixelmator.com
- Click the Choose Files button
- Select com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.zip file and click Choose
- Once the file has been uploaded, Control-click the link that appears below the Choose Files button, and then choose Copy Link
- Include this link in your message to us
You can now move the com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator folder and com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.zip file to the Trash — Pixelmator Classic will be reset to default.
4. Reinstall your brushes, gradients, and other presets
To reinstall your brushes, gradients, and other presets, follow these steps:
- Open Pixelmator Classic to automatically create the deleted folder in the Library
- Quit the app again
- Open the Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder
- Paste the following path: ~/Library/Containers/com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator/Data/Library/Application Support
- Copy the Pixelmator folder from your Desktop into the Application Support folder in the Finder – Finder will ask you whether you'd like to Merge or Replace the folder you're pasting. Click Replace
When you open Pixelmator Classic, your presets should now all be restored.